Blogs - Tutorials - Reviews

background

Pregnancy Update 13-18 Weeks


Info from NIH

13-16 Weeks: 

With Zantac on my side I was finally enjoying my pregnancy. I wasn't showing enough for strangers to tell, but my husband and I could definitely see my pooch! I was sleeping wonderfully, my house was clean again for the first time in months, and I was able to clean out the spare room to make room for baby. I had so much energy and felt like a normal person again. I also got to feel my baby move for the first time at 13 weeks! A lot of women don't believe me because it's my first pregnancy, but it wasn't poop or a fart. I felt baby scrape their arm or leg across the wall of my stomach to the left of my belly button. I know it was my baby because for the next month this is where I felt movement every time. It was also the place where baby's heart was heard with the fetal Doppler. My Doctor says it is totally normal and expected to feel baby that early especially because I'm skinny and very in tune with my body. From the first moment I felt her move she hasn't stopped! She kicks and twists and turns all day! It sort of feels like my uterus is twitching, but some movements feel like she is trying to swim her way out and is scraping along my stomach. It doesn't hurt at all... yet. I've finished reading The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding from the La Leche League International. I am SO HAPPY I've read this book. It has a more natural approach to breastfeeding than the typical "pregnancy books" everyone tells you to read. It goes over every topic you could think of concerning breastfeeding. I really recommend you read it if you are thinking of breastfeeding. It eliminates any fears or apprehensions you have towards breastfeeding and boosts your confidence in your ability to feed your baby the way nature intended. I will be sure to make a review of this book once baby comes and we are well established at breastfeeding.

17-18 Weeks: 

My nausea had come to a complete end by this time, but my acid reflux was getting increasingly worse, mostly at night. I was now totally obsessed with taking my Zantac. I was obsessively watching the clock and counting down the hours until I would take my next pill. Also, I was a complete insomniac. I've suffered from insomnia before. I actually have nerve damage from the anemia induced condition I put myself in from lack of sleep. I suffer from parasthesia when I am overly tired. It basically feels like I have bugs crawling under my skin and I get restless leg syndrome. So with the less sleep I was getting the worse my parasthesia was getting. While I had experienced sleep issues in my life before I had not experienced anything this bad. I would literally stay up all night feeling restless and unsettled. I couldn't calm down and I was getting extremely emotional. Since Zantac was the only medication I was on I decided to look up the symptoms and I couldn't believe that insomnia was actually a symptom of long term use of Zantac! I was in total shock.

As Far as education, I bought and read Ina May's Guide to Childbirth. This book focuses on birth without ANY medical interventions. It is a comprehensive book about the stages of labor and how to deal with them. The entire first half of the book is all birth stories about women who delivered at her birth center. The last half of the book talks about the stages of labor, what you will be experiencing physically and emotionally, positions to help you labor, and scientific, resaerch based facts about the harmful outcomes of medical interventions. She also boosts your self esteem in knowing that your body is capable of delivering this baby into the world. It is for women who do not want a typical medically intervened birth. I recommend this book even if you are planning to deliver vaginally with pain medications because it discusses how your birth cold be better without those medications and how risky it is for you and baby to use medications in labor.


Next week I will be discussing the side effects of Zantac and the Vagus Nerve episode I experienced as well.



What were your early 2nd trimester symptoms and how did you deal with them?

Post a Comment