Blogs - Tutorials - Reviews

background

How I Found out I was Pregnant!

This pregnancy was definitely a surprise for us! It is our first. We had not been using protection for several months already as I was having a hard time on my birth control. I started birth control when I was 17 to help control my heavy bleeding and extreme pain during menstruation. I was never satisfied with the results I got taking birth control, but was so relieved to have control over my body and to not have as much pain. But I had come to a point where I was having cramps every single day so I decided to just wean myself off and see how my body would by itself for a change...




We used the rhythm method, but after we got married we were more loose. In December 2013 I was late. I had never been late before, but I was having intense menstrual like cramps and thought I was just adjusting. You know, thinking of every possible thing that was happening to me besides being pregnant. After researching my symptoms I finally came to terms with myself that I needed to buy some tests. So, my husband went to class for the day and I went to the store. I got the cheapest test which came with two sticks. I went home and tested myself immediately. 

The directions said to wait 2 minutes, but after 2 seconds the first test was positive! Of course I was in disbelief so I took out the second test and again within almost immediately peeing on the stick it was convincingly positive!

I am surprised by my reaction most of all. I didn't cry, or get excited, or feel disappointed. I felt very matter of factually. I think this is because I already knew subconsciously that I was pregnant and the test was just a physical sign that it was true. So I told myself, "Okay, your pregnant for real so lets take the next step." I put all of the evidence away where my husband couldn't find anything and waited for him to get home. When he finally did I acted as normal as I could, but reflecting on the story Alex says I was acting so weird and he immediately knew something was up! He says that the first thing he did was look for a pregnancy test! It's so funny how instinctual he was about it. He gave up looking and went about his business and I just hung around and listened to him talk about his day. Eventually he ended up asking if my cycle had come yet because he knew I was very late. All I could do was shake my head no. He then proceeded to ask if he thought I was going to get it soon and, again, I shook my head no. At first his face expressed utter confusion, but it immediately shifted into shock, and then finally utter happiness and surprise. I will never forget that look! 

He kept saying over and over again, "I'm going to be a Dad?!?!" 

It was our 2 month wedding anniversary! We had always talked about waiting to have children as we were both in school, but we are still so happy that this happened and we are definitely emotionally ready for this next chapter of our lives. We are so thankful to be financially stable right now and I can even stay home during my pregnancy and prepare our home for our little one.

Is it weird that I've kept the pregnancy tests?

Post a Comment