Blogs - Tutorials - Reviews

background

Fainting While Pregnant: Vasovagol Syncope

(Info From Mayo Clinic)

Beware! Hemorrhoids aren't your only bathroom fear in pregnancy! Did you know that when you are pregnant you are at a higher risk of fainting while on the toilet? Well, I can attest. Apparently all that pressure in your abdomen is pushing on that same nerve that causes you to pass out when you're scared or see blood and guts! It's called Vasovagal Syncope and it can be quite dangerous if you don't know what is happening to you.



The Vasovagol nerve extends from the brain and branches all the way down past your heart, into your abdomen, and then to your individual abdominal organs. When it is stimulated it causes an immediate drop in your heart rate and blood pressure and causes you to black out and lose muscle control. It's considered a normal body reaction to stress and is actually common in young, healthy children. In fact, I've experienced this reaction many times as a child. If I became injured I would always feint! I haven't had an episode since I was child and my doctor told me that "I grew out of it." Whatever that means.

While medical experts assured me that it's normal it definitely sucks and it feels like I am dying! As a child if I were to get hurt I was more fearful of passing out than I was actually becoming injured. It wasn't just a matter of losing consciousness, I would get cold sweats, the shakes, and then I would fall to the ground and most of the time I remained conscious. I would also feel like I was going to lose all the contents of my stomach and it would take the rest of the day to recover.

I had this same experience during my 20th week of pregnancy. I suffered a horrible nights sleep and decided to get out of bed early. I felt immediately dizzy upon getting out of bed and went straight to the bathroom. As I urinated I began realizing that 


OH MY GOSH I AM GOING TO PASS OUT RIGHT NOW!


I yelled for my husband with as much energy as I could muster and fell forward off the toilet so I wouldn't hurt the baby and lost all muscle control. Luckily I knew what to do in this situation and prevented injury to myself. I felt the cold sweats, shakes, and lack of muscle control, but I did not black out. I thought my heart was failing. I was so scared and so was my husband. I was admitted to the E.R. and met with the doctor who assured me that what happened was normal and safe and that I would be just fine as he sees this all of the time. He explained that all of the pressure in my belly was putting force on the nerve and that sitting and straining on the toilet just triggered my already aggravated nerve. I was given fluids and sent home and have been fine since then.

I think what surprises me most is that I NEVER read or heard of this happening to anyone who was pregnant. Also, while it is normal I still think it should be taken more seriously. What if I were alone or fell on my stomach? What if I hit my head? I think doctors should warn their pregnant patients of this issue so that women know to lay down immediately when they get these certain sensations.


You can add this to the, "Things No One Ever Tells You About Pregnancy" list.

Post a Comment